Article Details

Scrape Timestamp (UTC): 2023-10-31 08:24:12.222

Source: https://thehackernews.com/2023/10/canada-bans-wechat-and-kaspersky-apps.html

Original Article Text

Click to Toggle View

Canada Bans WeChat and Kaspersky Apps On Government Devices. Canada on Monday announced a ban on the use of apps from Tencent and Kaspersky on government mobile devices, citing an "unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security." "The Government of Canada is committed to keeping government information and networks secure," the Canadian government said. "We regularly monitor potential threats and take immediate action to address risks." To that end, Tencent's WeChat and Kaspersky's suite of applications have been removed from government-issued mobile devices effective October 30, 2023. Going forward, users of these devices will be blocked from downloading the apps. "We are taking a risk-based approach to cyber security by removing access to these applications on government mobile devices," Anita Anand, President of the Treasury Board, said in a statement, adding the apps "provide considerable access to the device's contents." WeChat is a Chinese instant messaging, social media, and mobile payment app developed by Tencent. The all-in-one app has over 1 billion monthly active users, making it one of the largest online platforms. Kaspersky, a Russian cybersecurity vendor, said the prohibition seems to be made on political grounds and that the actions are "highly unsupported and a response to the geopolitical climate rather than a comprehensive evaluation of the integrity of Kaspersky's products and services." The move comes after Canada banned ByteDance-owned TikTok from government devices on similar grounds in February 2023. Previously in March 2022, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) added Kaspersky to the "Covered List" of companies that pose an "unacceptable risk to the national security" of the country.

Daily Brief Summary

NATION STATE ACTIVITY // Canada Bans Tencent's WeChat and Kaspersky Apps on Government Devices Due to Security Risks

The Canadian government announced the ban on the usage of apps from Tencent and Kaspersky on government mobile devices, referencing them as an "unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security."

The specified applications, Tencent's WeChat and Kaspersky's suite of applications, were removed from all government-issued mobile devices, with the ban coming into effect on 30th October 2023.

Users of these government-issued devices will henceforth be prohibited from downloading these apps, with the decision based on a risk-based approach to cybersecurity.

The President of the Treasury Board, Anita Anand, pointed to the considerable access these apps provide to the device's contents as the reason for the ban.

Responding to the ban, Russian cybersecurity vendor Kaspersky labelled the decision as rooted in politics, and declared it as unsupported and a reaction to the current geopolitical climate.

The move follows the February 2023 prohibition of TikTok, another major app, from government devices on similar grounds.

Previously in March 2022, the US FCC had listed Kaspersky among companies that posed an "unacceptable risk to the national security".